Sunday, February 10, 2013

'CUBES

BLOG:

Day 1
6 PM: I am thirsty. Fortunately, I recently bought an ice cube tray, so I’m not worried about obtaining ice while at home.

7 PM: I realized that my freezer makes the ice taste like tilapia. Gross. Now I have to drink soda or sweet drinks so that I don’t smell the ice cubes.

8 PM: I kind of like the ice cube thing. I forgot how refreshing cold water is. Even if it smells like tilapia.

10 PM: I went to bed with a glass of ice water. Hopefully my cat doesn’t drink out of it, although I don’t really mind sharing. I do share my pillow with her after all. I usually don’t get thirsty at night so I don’t think this will be a problem.

Day 2
6 AM: I got up early to go to Starbucks this morning. I don’t have any water bottles that fit the ice at home so I will have to go the Starbucks. (Oh well!)

7:25 AM: Starbucks is really expensive. It also makes me thirsty. Uh-oh.

12 PM: It sucks not being able to drink anything at lunch. I’m thirsty now.

6 PM: Finally got home from school. I immediately got some ice water from the freezer. Ahhh.

10 PM: I am planning to go the Starbucks again in the morning.

Day 2.5
7:25 AM: I didn’t get up early this morning. Ugh. I have a cold. And no water.

10 AM: In choir I started gagging because my mouth was so dry. I had to drink some ice-less water. I feel a little bad because I stopped following the ice cube addiction.

12 PM: Yup, definitely sick. Still drinking ice-less water but I can’t really help it because I have a head cold.

6 PM: When I got home from school, I had more ice water. Mind as well end this the way it started: Ice water and Advil.


WRITE-UP:

    I thought this was an interesting exercise. I like that it incorporated the physical craving as well as the social effects. The first day went well. When I told my mom I was going to Starbucks early in the morning, she asked me if I was going on a date. I said, “No mom, only you go on dates at 7 AM.” I didn’t tell anyone about the experiment. I also tried my best to stay on ice cubes for the full 48 hours, but that didn’t happen. After the first full day, I got sick. I tried to tough out the day without drinking anything, but i succumbed when I started to choke in choir class. I tried to think about a real-world equivalent to what happened to me. I think a good one would be a crack junkie that has to revert back to powdered coke that doesn’t have as good of a high but is cheaper. That’s kind of like water to ice cubes.
    I think this experiment would be better if it was done during the weekend. That way, we could blog more often and we wouldn’t be totally screwed if we didn’t have an ice tray or a way of getting to Starbuck before school started.

No comments:

Post a Comment