Sunday, February 10, 2013

Life After Death

Is there life after death? We can never really be sure. The problem is, we're all kind of dead once we find out. Personally, I believe that the soul stays intact after we die. This is partially based on my religion (I'm Roman Catholic) but also on the recollections of people who have had near-death experiences. I find these stories to be very interesting. I read about one woman who was blind since birth. She had a near-death experience at a hospital where her heart stopped beating for a time. She pictured herself rising up from the hospital room into the sky. That's right - she pictured it. She could accurately describe the room she was in after the experience. This is a difficult phenomenon to explain away by "hallucination". Stories like this one happen, not frequently, but often enough that science isn't quite sure what it all means. Science can't figure out what quantifies a soul.

Here is a story about a NDE:
 http://www.weboflove.org/neardeathexperience

7 comments:

  1. Wow. This is a very interesting post. Near death experiences have always intrigued me. The thought of being close enough to death to experience something like this leaves me rattled (ra cha cha)... still, it's an experience that is impossible to prove and open to interpretation and I think that's what makes them so mysterious. I personally find these stories eerily entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is pretty cool also. The fact that she was able to describe the room she was in after the experience does a lot to prove her case. Although I kind of believe that studying into this stuff is a waste of time because you really aren't going to know until you're dead. Unless we figure out a way to make zombies that are nice enough to tell us about death... then I'm just going to keep living my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find it hard to believe in near-death experiences, because you're either dead, or you aren't. These "experiences" sound more like out of body stuff. Sure, you can be brought back to life, but in order to do that, you have to die. I also think that if someone had died, the vision would be quite a bit more fantastical than just seeing your body lying on a hospital bed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is very interesting! I've hear similar stories. Rachel Marik once told me of this study she was told about at a convention...willing participants were on a scale of some sort right before their predictable death. Each and every time, after the person passed away, they lost exactly .7 pounds (or something like that i forget the exact number). The scientists were religious and their goal was to prove that the soul existed. I'd say I'm pretty convinced! Crazy huh? That cant be falsely explained by hallucinations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tend to agree with you. I think it is difficult to describe a soul, let alone prove that one doesn't exist. I am still trying to get over the fact that simple elements can create thoughts and memories and cause actions within our bodies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is deep stuff. I got chills reading this-especially the part when she could describe the room. It's true that no one can prove what happens after death, however, I don't know how science can logically explain what this phenomenon is without relating to the religious aspects of what it could be. I believe there's a God and a heaven and this to me is another sign of proof.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This post is very interesting JDogg. I also agree witht he masses: it is very hard to describe/explain the existence of a soul. Near death experiences are very interesting stories. That one you described in your post about the blind girl is incredible. I can't believe she was able to see the room. Hard to explain something like that.

    ReplyDelete